Born in Pisa, Guglielmo Amedeo Lori went to the grammar school there and, in 1887, enrolled at the “Istituto di Belle Arti di Lucca”. Between 1898 and 1899, with Antonio Discovolo, he spent a period at Giacomo Puccini’s house at Torre del Lago, where he met Ferruccio Pagni and Francesco Fanelli, who were founders together with Angiolo Tommasi, Plinio Nomellini and Raffaello Gambogi, of the “Club della Bohème” a cultural and university student group whose members were admirers of Puccini.
Interested in “plein air” painting, Lori chose Liguria as his inspiration. In 1902, after meeting the artist from Rome, Nino Costa, at Marina di Pisa, Lori and Discovolo left for the Bay of La Spezia, staying at Tellaro. The following year the two spent a couple of months at Portovenere, where they worked with Llewelyn Lloyd, who then left to paint at Manarola, while Lori and Discovolo preferred the small island of Palmaria. The three artists used Divisionist techniques in their works inspired by the marine landscape of Liguria.
At the beginning of the century Lori exhibited at the largest Italian exhibitions. Of note are the annual ‘Promotrici di Genova’, the 1907 Venice Biennial (where he successfully showed “La pineta prima del sole” (Dawn in the Pine Wood) “La pineta dopo il sole” (The Pine Wood at Dusk), and the 1911 International Exhibition at Rome.
He died at Viareggio in 1913.
Written by: Gioela Massagli – Translated by: Catherine Biggerstaff
© Studio d’Arte dell’800